Saturday, September 05, 2009

WHAT A YEAR! IS IT SEPTEMBER ALREADY?

Wow! It's almost been a year since my last post.

If you didn't know me, you might think that I'd been slackin, not doing a damn thing, chillin. And you'd be wrong. Since my last post I've been adjusting to life as a working mommy, trying to figure out how to balance the day job, with the mommy job, with the wifely duties with the filmmaking and creative pursuits. I have to say--it's been difficult. But I'm getting there!

So since we last spoke, I've completely re-written my business plan for Black Pearl Filmworks, LLC and have re-built my website! I've also submmitted my screenplay REALITY CHECK to several fellowships including the Film Independent Producer's Lab which I'm waiting to see if I was accepted. Let's see, what else? Well, seeing as it's Labor Day weekend, I have to make a quick statement. It's really only fitting that I'm blogging today. I really love the Fall season and always look at Labor day weekend, which ushers in the soon to come Fall season, as a new beginning. And I'm moving into a new phase as a writer and director. I'm being more diligent than ever before, making sure I write everyday, making sure I pursue new opportunities, stay creative and stay connected. It's like I'm in grad school the way I'm studying this industry. It's really crazy how much has changed and it's hard to keep up. It's a full time job really. So I've utilized the downtime I've had between day jobs to really immerse myself in the business side of the movie industry. I'm learning a lot and am going to be sharing what I learn, the progress I make, the setbacks I have, and all that in this blog!
My day job starts back on September 21st so I have two full weeks to wrap up loose ends and figure out a workable schedule.

Let me give you a quick and brief synopsis of what I'm working on now:
1--I've decided to create a series of 10 webisodes that are a prequel to my film Reality Check. I plan to direct them in the next month and post them here and on my website so keep your eyes open. HURDLES: Need either a skeleton crew that's willing to work free, or sponsorhip money of up to $10K so I can do this right!

2--I'm working on the outline of my script OIL & BLOOD which needs to totally be re-written. Why? Because so much has changed since I first wrote it. And because it was the first script I ever wrote and is really not in the best shape. HURDLES: I'm stuck on the intricacies of the second act. This is a drama/suspense in the vain of State of Play, Conspiracy Theory & The Pelican Brief. I don't want it to be predictable or too convuluted.

3--I'm waiting to hear back from a prominent screenwriter who I pitched my project Reality Check to 2 weeks ago. He liked the concept. My pitch needed a little work, but he was a great teacher and requested my full script. But alas, I have gotten no response from him. When I say prominent, I mean, many successful feature films, working with Oprah, prominent. Ugh. He asked me if I was a good writer during my pitch session. I said yes, rambled on about my background and couldn't look the man in the eye I was so nervous. What I wanted to say was-- "I think I have great ideas and a lot of potential, but I want to be the best I can be. It's a daily struggle." Ok, so that's off my chest, if only I had thought on my feet! HURDLES: I really am in need of a mentor and have realized that for a while. This guy seems like he would be ideal for that if willing. But what am I to do if he never hits me back? I think you know me--I'm going into determination mode. He may have to cuss me out to get rid of me. I just have a feeling about him--a lot of "coincidences" happened the week leading up to us meeting. I can't discuss now as I don't want to reveal his name just yet. But it's good ish!


4--I've connected with some old friends that are helping me try to find funding for RC. Sometimes this feels like a pipedream....(HURDLE)

which brings me to my new outlook on this whole process:

I'm no longer calling this a "dream" I'm pursuing and trying to fulfill. But rather, a GOAL that I will achieve. That makes it more tangible to me. That makes me understand that it is actually possible, and not some crazy, futile fantasy. I need to keep putting in the time, no matter what.

What an update hunh? Well check in daily. I'll be adding updates on my quest to blend all aspects of my life and hope to have great news soon about how my film will begin production.

YEAH!!!
Hugs, Laughs & Blessings! (my new sign-off, it's so me!)

Morenike

1 comment:

papillon said...

I LOVE IT!!! I am so very proud of you and ALL your achievements. You are and continue to be a true inspiration.

Love ya.
A.B.