Friday, September 18, 2009

The Good, the Better, and the Crappy

First off--Be prepared for a less animated entry--I'm typing with remnants of the flu. Energy is low. But the week was pretty damn good!

I kicked it off going to a networking event in West Hollywood called "Launch Mondays." It was created by my friend Tony P. in an effort to connect folks in the media, PR and entertainment.

A friend of mine was in town--the fabulous TOY (singer, voiceover diva: http://www.teeohwhy.com/) and so we went together. I had a blast--thanks to the wine, the great atmosphere and old friends. And can you imagine--I actually networked instead of staying in my comfort zone.


I'd recently begun subscribing to this newsletter on screenwriting and success in the industry called The Business of Show Institute and have been following the advice of Marvin Acuna. (http://www.thebusinessofshowinstitute.com/) He's says networking is essential, but not in the "in-sincere, what can you do for me" type of way. Just in the "getting to know you and perhaps I can do something for YOU" type of way. Most may not know this, but I'm a bit of a shy girl if I don't know people. I mean really. It has kept me from going out. Sometimes I just can't fake it. But I felt pretty secure this Monday night and had been practicing just starting small talk with people (strangers) over the past few weeks, so I was prepared. And like I said, I was surrounded by good people, and wine.

I met a few new people in the production business that I am hoping to give leads on jobs (as if I don't need a lead myself!) And I linked up with a guy I met a few weeks back who has special knowledge of the new media, webisode/sponsorship world. And he's helping me out!

THEN, I met this guy who is in money management. He, I and Toy had great convo and I was pumping up Toy as a great singer and the casually sassy voice of Michelle the Old Navy Modelquinn. It never occurred to me that maybe he could help me. Then Toy mentioned to him that I was looking for funding/investors for my film and maybe he could help me out. And wouldn't you know we have a meeting today at 1 pm to discuss? YAAAAY!!!!


So I'm getting my mind right for our lunch meeting. Wish me luck!

Well that was just Monday. On Tuesday I did family home stuff--the dog was washed and my son's room was finally decorated and organized into a baby room though he's at the ripe age of 1 year 3 months!

Wednesday night, I got all jazzed up in a cute little black short set that looked like a dress and some killer red heels and pranced my way over to The Improv on Melrose--where my friend Kimrie would be performing for the first time! Let me just say--she was amazing. Especially considering the fact that all the other performers that night have been doing comedy forever--one was a finalist on Last Comic Standing, the other is a comedy writer/producer for Ellen. And then there's Kimrie, who's also the star of my film "Reality Check," who decided to take an improv class to continue growing as an actress, and was so damn good they invited her to perform with these comedic professionals. Wowee. Amazing. She did great, was hilarious and didn't make me anxious or uncomfortable when she was on stage. (You know how someone is just not that good and you just are sitting there wincing inside wishing for it to be over--yeah, that didn't happen...Thank goodness!) Check her out http://www.kimrie.com/

OK, one crappy thing did happen this week. I had applied for a Producer's Lab with Film Independent. This program helps director/producer pull their project together, meet the right people and learn the tricks of the trade necessary to get your film off the ground. You can imagine how badly I wanted to be down. I put so much effort into the application, paid the app fee, submitted my script, business plan everything. Only to get an email Thursday evening saying "Thanks so much for submitting, unfortunately you have not been selected." I wanted to throw my blackberry out the window.
Do you know how tired I am of being rejected? Do you?? And still no word from the writer that's supposed to be my mentor but doesn't know it yet. But big shout-out to my friend Elon who's response to my rejection was: "F**k those film programs who don't see the light. They are insane. It is a great film." Ahhh---friends!!

I start a day job on Monday for the next two months. Which is great because I got bills to pay. But is definitely going to take time away from my film hustle. I'm gonna have to figure out how to balance.
Regardless, I'm praying for an even better upcoming week, and that my meeting with the finance man leads to FANTASTIC things!

Feel free to pray on my behalf as well!
Have a great one--

Laughs, Hugs & Blessings!
Morenike

1 comment:

DJ Dave said...

Nice blog!